Hi DaveH, Glad to see you are back at home now... [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

DAVEH:  My latest comments are in BLUE.......

jt: Biblically whenever angels appeared they spoke in line with the rest of scriptureand the book of Mormon along with the other two books are 'another gospel'

DAVEH:  I respectfully disagree.
The BoM is that sealed book prophesied by Isaiah.  (Is 29:11-18)
jt: Not so DaveH, the sealed book spoken of by the prophet Isaiah in Is 29:11-18 is the Scripture.
DAVEH:  Agreed.  The question is......which Scripture?  I believe it applies to the BoM, which I believe is Scripture too.  Now.....when you suggest it is "Scripture", I assume you mean that you think it refers to the Bible?  How so?  Was the Bible sealed?  Who and when was the Bible delivered to a learned man who said, "I cannot; for it is sealed"?  And who was it delivered to that said he was unlearned?

jt: So far as I am concerned (respectfully so) the book of Mormon is extra biblical - the book had already been written - and does not qualify as scripture... and yes the Bible is a sealed book, right now today to a lot of people.  Without the Holy Spirit unlocking the meaning and giving spiritual understanding it is a closed volume.  God hides things from the wise and prudent and reveals them to babes - also no prophecy of scripture is interpreted independently it must fit with the rest of scripture and there should be two or more clear witnesses in the rest of the Bible. Isaiah here is speaking of Israel's restoration in the Messianic Age and there are many corresponding scriptures Isa 35:3-6 is one.
DAVEH:  Do you have specific answers to my above questions, Judy?

jt: If you mean the name of the person who was unlearned - I don't have one name in particular and many are too proud to admit they are blind (like the Pharisees). They sat in the seat of Moses but when Jesus came in person speaking God's Word they didn't recognize it or Him. So you could say the scriptures were sealed to them even though they were teaching them and believed themselves to be the experts.

I've read that JS was upset
DAVEH:  I don't remember that.  I think the word he used was "confused".
with what he saw in the churches and can understand this sentiment but he was deceived by the angel
DAVEH:  The angel you speak of is Jesus Christ himself.
and the Jesus of the LDS is 'another Jesus'
DAVEH:  I respectfully disagree.  He is the same Jesus who died on the cross for us.
jt: The angel Moroni with the eyeglasses is not the Jesus who died on the cross for us DaveH and the Book of Mormon given to Joseph Smith in upstate NY if I remember correctly is not in harmony with God's Truth.  In Galatians Paul writes that if anyone, even an angel of god comes with a gospel other than what we have already received - let him be accursed"

DAVEH:  I'm not sure why you think such, though you are right......I've heard it many times on TT. jt: Probably because as the scriptures say "His sheep recognize Hisvoice and another voice they do not follow"
DAVEH:  Reference, please?
jt: John 10:4,5 and the Jesus of Mormonism is 'another voice'

DAVEH:  Once again, I respectfully disagree.
jt: DaveH, since you have embraced this other gospel, how do you know which voice you are listening to?

DAVEH: FTR......My Jesus died for me that I will live again.  That is one very important part of salvation.....to overcome physical death.

jt: Physical death is not the problem, we will all die physically. It's the second death that should concern you - that is spiritual death.  Jesus said not to fear man because all he can do is kill the body.  We should fear God who can kill both body and soul.

DAVEH: He also atoned for my sins IF I availeth myself to him and endure to the end.......THEN I will "achieve" full salvation.  Now understand this, Judy.  That I have to take some steps by myself to reach that point where I can return to heaven, it is something I canNOT do myself alone.  It is only by virtue of our Lord's grace that I have the opportunity to reach the full potential for which God has foreordained me to obtain.  I hope that helps you understand my belief a bit better.  (And, I hope I haven't confused you with my explanation!)

jt: This sounds somewhat  like the real but when you add the ascending toward godhood
DAVEH:  That too is Biblical......"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." PS 82:6 .........Some on this Forum have denied that "gods" has a divine meaning.  However, if you consider the Lord's reply (Jn 10:34) to those who were trying to trap him into a relationship with God, Jesus answered them.....

jt: The Jews were wanting to stone him for blasphemy because they said he made himself equal with God.

".....Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" ........From this, it is quite obvious that "gods" in both instances has divine properties.

jt: Only in the sense that men represent God on this earth. God uses it for Moses when he stands before Pharoah Exodus 7:1.

dh: When you consider the overall message of the Bible, Judy, it only makes logical sense.  We were created in the image of God (plural).

jt: The first man Adam was a created being and he was created in the "image of God" (singular) - but he fell and the rest of us who were in his loins fell with him. We are born in a fallen state. Genesis 5:3 teaches that Adam lived 130yrs and had a son in his likeness (rather than Gods) who was Seth..

dh: He is known to us by his parental name, "Father".  He has given us the tools to become like him.....the commandments.  He has give us a commandment to do so.  (Mt 5:48)    Furthermore, he has told us that we shall be like him.  (1Jn 3:2)

jt: Dave you need to be born of the Spirit so that you can understand the scriptures.  You have them all mixed up here.  God is only Father to those who are in His son; he does not claim devils and rebels. The commandments do not conform anyone to His image, the ONLY way to return to that state is to be conformed to the image of Christ and this can only happen by the power that comes through His resurrection. The promise in 1 John 3:2 is to those who are "in Christ" not just everyone out there.

dm: Now, why would you not think you have the potential to become like God?  Let me provide a presumed answer for you.....because you are a sinner and God is perfect.  Is that correct, Judy?

jt: What makes you think that you know how I think DaveH?  I believe the scriptures and they teach that God will cause me to overcome and I will be conformed to the 'image of Christ'

dh: Then let me answer that our Beloved Brother, Jesus, has provided a way that we can do so......by his grace, specifically by virtue of his resurrection and atoning sacrifice.

jt: As I have said already DaveH, the Jesus you speak of is another one. He is not the same Jesus who is coming of His Church without spot, wrinkle, or blemish....the whole temple ritual thing  is from what I've read taken from Masonic ritual and this is the old mystery religious stuff, the regenerative principle - it dresses itself differently outwardly but is basically the same as the high places in Israel when they were in apostasy and also what TPW is into. Judy

DAVEH:  From the few things you've said so far, I think you have a lot of misunderstandings about what I believe, Judy.   I'm not trying to convert you to Mormonism.  Nor am I quoting Latter-day Scripture to you.  What I've done above is point out the Bible supports one of my beliefs that you find unacceptable.

jt: The Bible doesn't support the belief that you are gods (plural) and on your way back to heaven in a physical body that does not die.  Scripture is speaking about gods (judges) who stand in for the one God on this earth - so you see this is twisted.

DAVEH: If you disagree (and I'm pretty sure you do), I'd sure like to know why you think my analysis is wrong.  To me (from my LDS biased perspective), it all makes logical sense.  I don't understand why Protestants find it so hard to accept the basic message of the Bible as I've tried to explain above.

jt: Probably because what is logical sense to you makes no spiritual sense to those of us who have been born of the Spirit and understand the scriptures in this light.  Not that we all agree on every detail as you've probably noted from being on TT for so long; we are all at different places but the differences are not that great and the Lord will bring it all together before His return.

Judy
--
Dave Hansen