Terry wrote:
2. God is God. He can make exceptions to His rules any time He wants to,

I have trouble seeing it this way. It seems to me that God is not capricious. Capriciousness is the way of the false Roman and Greek gods, not the Hebrew God.

One glaring example is Jesus dying on the cross. Why would he send his own Son to die? If he could make exceptions to his rules anytime he wanted, he could have just made an exception.

Terry wrote:
... and none of us are qualified to question that.

True enough, but we are qualified to understand it, and that is what I seek to do. I seek to understand his mercy and his justice and judgment.

Terry wrote:
None of us can question how right God was, and none of us can demand an explanation for what we might perceive to be a bending of the rules in this case.

The Scriptures were written for our learning. We can come to understand God's nature by looking at those things that anger him and those things that please him. For example, we understand that Abraham pleased God because of his faith. We also understand that God is a God of covenants. Relationship is important to him. You might perceive a bending of the rules here and consider that you have no right to question it, but I perceive a God who does not bend rules and who did not bend rules in this case. One thing I am certain about, and that is that God is not a God who judges partially towards one person or another. What a man sows is what he reaps. If we come to an understanding that God has bent the rules for someone, that is a warning flag to me that there are some false assumptions being held.

---------- "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man." (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org