For you on TT who might have an evangelical bent, the following might be of
interest.  I did not copy the speech itself, given in the Salt Lake City
Tabernacle on January 14, 2005, which can be found on

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/156/story_15656_1.html

in case you are interested.  It has stirred quite a fuss among other
evangelicals

   'We Have Sinned Against You'
A leading evangelical speaks at the Mormon Tabernacle and says evangelicals
have spread lies about LDS beliefs.

By Richard Mouw

For the first time in 105 years, non-Mormons mounted the pulpit at the Mormon
Tabernacle in Salt Lake City on Nov. 14. The event, dubbed an "Evening of
Friendship," was organized by Standing Together, a network of 100 evangelical
churches trying to improve relations with members of The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints. Historical animosity dating back to the founding of the
LDS Church has heightened in recent years between the two groups, particularly
in the 1990s, when high-profile evangelical leaders said that Mormons are not
Christians and the Southern Baptist Convention held one of its annual meetings
in Salt Lake City, partially with the goal of converting Mormons to evangelical
Protestantism.

In what the Deseret News referred to as "stunningly candid" comments, Fuller
Theological Seminary president and Beliefnet columnist Richard J. Mouw
apologized to Mormons for evangelicals' tendency to distort the truth about
Latter-day Saints' beliefs. "Let me state it clearly. We evangelicals have
sinned against you," Mouw said. The speech is making the rounds among surprised
and generally pleased evangelical and Mormon groups. We reprint the remarks
below.