On Jan 22, 2008 5:36 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Simon Nash wrote:
>  >> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> >> - What distro Zips are we building and what do they contain? just the
> >> runtime? samples or not? dependencies or not? are we building
> >> specialized distros for different use cases?
> [snip]
> > With a big topic like this, dividing it into separate threads makes it
> > easier for people to follow and participate in the discussions.  The
> > split you are suggesting looks good to me.
> [snip]
>
> I'd like to discuss the following: "What distro Zips are we building and
> what do they contain?"
>
> I think we could improve our distro scheme to provide:
> - smaller packages
> - easier for people to find what they need

We do need to do something about the distribution but having multiple
distro's doesn't actually make it easier to find what you need does it? It
actually makes it harder as right now we have a single distro so its pretty
easy to know where to look :)

> I was thinking about the following binary distro zips:
>
> - tuscany-core.zip - The base that everybody needs.
>   core assembly model and runtime
>   Java APIs, Java components
>
> - tuscany-web.zip - For WS and Web developers
>   WS binding, Web 2.0 bindings, Scripting components, Widget components
>
> - tuscany-jee.zip - For JEE app integration
>   EJB, RMI and JMS bindings, Spring components
>
> - tuscany-process.zip - For process development
>   BPEL and XQuery components
>
> - tuscany-all.zip - all of the above

Would each distro include everthing it needs or is tuscany-core.zip a
prereq?
Where do all the different data bindings go?
Doesn't one of the SCA specs say an SCA runtime MUST support binding.ws?
Is interface.wsdl supported in the others or only with tuscany-web?
Is the core distro really so useful with nothing except
implementation.javaand no bindings
Do all those distro's include everything to support both tomcat and Jetty
standalone and webapps...and all the runtimes being discussed like Geronimo
and Tomcat deep integration?
Would any/all of those work with all the new domain/node stuff? And i think
right now that requires things like the WS and JSON support?
Where would all the demo's get included?

If this is mainly about reducing the size of the download then as an
alternative way of splitting things - what sort of size would be "ok" and
using that number could we then add the most useful extensions until we get
to that size and make the others optional downloads?