On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 06:29, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > The "Sky blue" is actually that now, computed as the average
> > value of the sky in numerous images of the sky. (if you try
> > this, remember to allow for gamma) Likewise, tan and beige
> > were computed from many images.
>
> The sky blue looks a bit too grey. I'll play around with a bit.

I'd rather you didn't just manually tweak it. If you'd like
a less overcast sky, I could compute what that would be.
Unless you're in Arizona, look outside some time. The sky
really is that grey.

Maybe I should post a program for computing this; it'd expect
to read in a correct (sRGB gamma, NOT 1.0 gamma) *.ppm file
filled with patches of sky. (you cut-and-paste from a wide
variety of sky pictures to get this)

> I really like the tan and beige colours, by the way.
>
> I'm really tired of apps using only fully-saturated colours.
> (Especially cyan hurts my eyes.) A more subdued palette is easier
> on the eye, and images drawn with these colours really look
> better. (And no, bright, satuared colours are not more 'fun' for
> kids!)

In the sRGB color space, blue is dark and saturated.
Yellow and cyan are not saturated. Yellow is bright.

If we had more slots (could be an option -- they get smaller)
I'd choose a dozen hues, with the brightness of both blue and
yellow, at the maximum saturation (not much!) that can be
shared by all the hue+brightness choices.

> > I don't care for "silver", since it doesn't sparkle or gleam,
> > but I figured "light grey" might be to difficult to read.
>
> Huh?

These are not colors: silver, gold, sparkely, chrome

They refer primarily to some non-color light reflection
properties. Well, the Tux Paint "silver" is a plain color.
It doesn't do anything exotic and impossible, and doesn't
even attempt to mimic the look via white highlights.

> But anyway, the buttons for all the greyscale colours look
> almost the same, so we should think about removing some of them.
> I'll try to come up with a proposal for a new colour palette.

No, we should think about changing the way the buttons look.
Either that, or live with it. The current buttons are pretty,
but they don't handle all of the colors well. We need all 4
shades of grey -- I didn't change them, BTW.

Clarity can be had at the expense of some beauty. Well, maybe you
would find this beautiful! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Suggestion for clarity:

Put some horizontal black stripes as the background of the
color selector. (2 to 5 pixels thick) Add some elliptical
patches of color, perhaps turned 15 degrees to the right.
The color is the button, unmolested by shading effects that
don't work quite right on black and white anyway.

> (This is easier said than done. One important thing to be aware
> of, is that all colours must give different tints when tinting
> stamps. We had a problem with magenta and purple before. The two
> colours looked completely different, but gave the same colour when
> tinting stamps. Some very minor modifications to the colour values
> fixed this.)

I don't think that's a big problem. I'd rather have the
original magenta and purple. (didn't change it back though)
If the tinting code doesn't handle brightness, then that's
the problem that needs fixing. Choosing less-desired colors
to work around this problem hurts much more than the minor
limit on the few rare tintable stamps.