Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 06:29, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>>
>>> The "Sky blue" is actually that now, computed as the average
>>> value of the sky in numerous images of the sky. (if you try
>>> this, remember to allow for gamma) Likewise, tan and beige
>>> were computed from many images.
>>
>> The sky blue looks a bit too grey. I'll play around with a
>> bit.
>
> I'd rather you didn't just manually tweak it. If you'd like
> a less overcast sky, I could compute what that would be.
> Unless you're in Arizona, look outside some time. The sky
> really is that grey.

Yes, I know. But that doesn't mean that a greyish blue is a
*good* colour to use for drawing cartoon-like sky in a childrens'
program. We don't need photo-realistic colours; we need useful,
good-looking colours.

>> I'm really tired of apps using only fully-saturated colours.
>> (Especially cyan hurts my eyes.) A more subdued palette is
>> easier on the eye, and images drawn with these colours really
>> look better. (And no, bright, satuared colours are not more
>> 'fun' for kids!)
>
> In the sRGB color space, blue is dark and saturated.
> Yellow and cyan are not saturated.

I did not know that sRGB defines a formula for saturation. But at
least in my image processing progams, both bright yellow and
bright cyan have full (100%) saturation (the HSL colour model).
This is also in line with how the word 'saturation' is used in
everyday language.

> If we had more slots (could be an option -- they get smaller)

We actually had fewer in earlier versions. But I really don't want
to increase the number. A better solution would be a palette tool.
See bug #1070398:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1070398&group_id=66938&atid=516298

>>> I don't care for "silver", since it doesn't sparkle or
>>> gleam, but I figured "light grey" might be to difficult to
>>> read.
>>
>> Huh?
>
> These are not colors: silver, gold, sparkely, chrome

Yes, I know. That's why I don't like to use 'silver' as a colour.
What I didn't understand was why you thought 'light grey' might be
difficult to read.

>> But anyway, the buttons for all the greyscale colours look
>> almost the same, so we should think about removing some of
>> them. I'll try to come up with a proposal for a new colour
>> palette.
>
> No, we should think about changing the way the buttons look.
> Either that, or live with it. The current buttons are pretty,
> but they don't handle all of the colors well. We need all 4
> shades of grey -- I didn't change them, BTW.

Why? Do kids use all shades of greys in their images? (Ordinary
crayons often doesn't even contain *one* shade of grey.) I would
rather believe that 'colourful' colours would be useful. And
there's always the darken/lighten tool if you really need more
greyness.

I think black, white and grey (around 50 % black) should suffice.

>> (This is easier said than done. One important thing to be
>> aware of, is that all colours must give different tints when
>> tinting stamps. We had a problem with magenta and purple
>> before. The two colours looked completely different, but gave
>> the same colour when tinting stamps. Some very minor
>> modifications to the colour values fixed this.)
>
> I don't think that's a big problem. I'd rather have the
> original magenta and purple. (didn't change it back though)
> If the tinting code doesn't handle brightness, then that's
> the problem that needs fixing. Choosing less-desired colors
> to work around this problem hurts much more than the minor
> limit on the few rare tintable stamps.

The stamp tinting code tints stamps to the tint of the colours,
and AFAICS works correctly. The colours were the problems, and
were easy to fix. The new colours weren't less-desired, and I
think they work marvelously. For the record, here's an before and
after image:

http://www.huftis.org/kritikk/tuxpaint-purple-before.png
http://www.huftis.org/kritikk/tuxpaint-purple-after.png

And it *is* extremely important that different colours give
differently-coloured stamps. I have personally observed how
confused a child can get when two completely different colours
give the same stamp colours. (And that is why I changed the
palette).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer