Letterman responded Tuesday night with yet another blistering attack at Leno.

Remember how I asked way back when if Leno had run over Dave's dog?
Yeah, that probably would've been better.

Dave: Every day I wake up and I say, "I'm gonna keep my mouth shut
about this NBC/Tonight Show thing" because, honestly folks, I don't
have a dog in this fight. But here's the deal: I've known Jay Leno
for, I don't know, 35 years. A long, long time. And we used to buddy
around in the old days, and what we're seeing now is kind of vintage
Jay. And it's enjoyable for me to see this. It's like, "Hey, there he
is! There's the guy I know!" And I just thought, "I better keep my
mouth shut because, Lord knows, I got my own problems. Really. I got
my own problems. (smiling) But I just can't help myself. (Laughter &
applause) And while it's true that I don't specifically have a dog in
this fight, I think that in some way, I and Paul are responsible for
the mess that's taking place over there now.

Paul: We're responsible?

Dave: Yes

Paul: What do you mean?

Dave: Because of the big stink we created when we left NBC years and
years ago, they said, "Okay, well that'll never happen again."

Paul: Well that's why Jay says he was going to retire five years ago
just to avoid that.

Dave: That's right. They wanted to avoid another transitional
brouhaha, if I can invoke a little French. So last night Jay gave his
state of the network speech. (Laughter & applause) And I saw...and he
said we should not blame Conan for what's going on. Don't blame Conan
for what's going on. And I said to myself, "No one is blaming Conan."
(Laughter & applause) And he further elucidated that who we should
actually blame are Conan's agents and managers: we should blame them
because this is what they do. And then Jay pointed out that he himself
has no agent or manager.

So I'm begging you, ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of everyone
involved, (deep pause) please don't blame Conan. Please. (Laughter &
applause) Okay? I know a lot of you people think Conan pushed himself
out of a job. He's not that kind of guy. He would never do that to
himself.

Paul: You're saying this is vintage Jay?

Dave: Please don't blame Conan. Okay? That's all I got tonight,
alright? (Applause) Jay also let us know last night that Conan is a
family guy.

Paul: Apparently. He said he was a good family man.

Dave: (pauses; turns to Paul and points) I hope you're not planning on
blaming Conan, are ya?

Paul: I, I wasn't.

Dave: I mean, in the thousands and thousands of words that have been
printed about this mess, who has blamed Conan? NO ONE! NO ONE has
blamed Conan! (Applause) (as Jay) "Eh...whatever you do, don't blame
Conan! It's, it's just business, okay? Don't...please...Conan's like a
family...he's a decent family guy. Don't..." (Laughter & applause)

When NBC said...they sent a couple guys, they sent a couple guys to my
office. One was the redheaded-hair guy with the beard and the other
was their attorney, John Agolia...Warren Littlefield

Paul: Oh, I remember this.

Dave: Yeah, they sent these guys to my office to tell me I wasn't
gonna get The Tonight Show. And so I thought it over and said, "Okay,
fine, well enough, let's settle up." Paul and I, Paul got fired.

Paul: Well, I...yep.

Dave: Stealing office supplies.

Paul: White-out, and things like that. Staplers.

Dave: So I said, "Well, it couldn't be more clear that there's no room
for me here at NBC." So the folks at CBS...the good, dear folks at
CBS...said, "Dave, come on over. Come on over. Do your little show
here." (Applause) So when five years ago, when NBC said to Jay, "You
know what? Conan's gonna take over your job in five years," that's
when you say, "Okay, fine, no hard feelings." You call ABC, you call
Fox, you try to get my job, you leave, you don't (as Jay) "Yeah, okay,
but I'll be in the lobby, you know, if you..." You don't hang around!
(Laughter & applause) You go across the street, and you punish NBC,
and you make them eat your words. And then...(Applause)...then Conan
has a job, Jay has a job, I have a job, that...(turns to Paul) what's
his name, Lonnie Donnigan? What's his name?

Voice off-stage: Jimmy Fallon!

Dave: Jimmy Fallon! Jimmy Fallon has a job. (Laughter & applause)

Paul: And Lonnie Donnigan: he has a job, too.

Dave: Yeah. And Jimmy Kimmel has a job. See, that's the way these
things are supposed to work. It's just part of evolution.
Darwin...it's an early Darwinian precept. You get fired, you get
another gig! Don't hang around waiting for somebody to drop dead.

Well, I fear I've gone too far yet again tonight.