On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree. What this starts to do is match the conversations and
> discussions with the show, which provides a better identification for
> advertisers who are looking for what's being sold. We've all agreed
> that Nielsen is barely functional as it stands. This is as good a shot
> as any to move to the next step.

The idea is a good one (moving beyond the Nielsen sample), but I am
skeptical of the execution. They appear to be weighting pretty highly how
often a show is mentioned on "social networking" sites, in the absence of
any hard data as to how this actually translates into viewership of the
show. It would not be surprising of shows like Glee generate more mentions
on twitter and FB than a show like CSI or Criminal Minds, but I am not sure
the extra mentions really translate into extra viewing. And I am pretty sure
the extra mentions rarely include references to whatever product was
advertised or even placed in the show. And making bets on how successful
future, as yet un-aired shows will do based on how often they are mentioned
on FB is absurd.

OTOH, I was impressed with the effort to quantify how a product's placement
or advertisement on a show actually impacts how it sells. If I were an
advertiser it seems like this is the specific information I most want to
know. I don't give a damn if 15 million people watch American Idol and only
4 million watch The Killing - if a 30 second ad on The Killing sells as many
units of my product as the same on AI, and it costs me a lot less, then that
is the ad I want to buy (or, if I don't it is because I care less about
selling that particular item and more about building product recognition or
something like that).