On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Melissa P <takingupspace...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  I’m pretty much in agreement with what you’ve said below.  But keep in
> mind that the most serious problem affecting survey research right now is
> the increasing number of cell phone-only households in the United States.  I
> guess it’s somewhat of an exaggeration to say that it’s wreaking havoc on
> sampling, but it probably actually is.
>

> Also, Ron said:
>

> “56% of Twitter users, for example, are in the 30-54 year old target demo”
>

> According to the Pew Research Center, only 8% of Americans are using
> Twitter, so while Twitter response might approach usefulness for teenage
> girls, it’s not much of an answer for everyone else.
>

> It’s nice to have extra information about TV viewing habits, but at this
> point in time we really don’t know how reliable it is.  And, it may take
> years for us to know the answer to that question.  Although Nielsen numbers
> are far from perfect – and getting less perfect every day -- they’re still
> the best we’ve got.

The Cell phone problem had thrown a huge money wrench into typical sampling
procedures - even the years between the last presidential election cycle and
the next will likely see a huge change on this characteristic alone. This is
likley to be even more of a problem for those particularly interested in
understanding young adults. At least with political polling there is an
actual criterion score that can be used to correct and adjust sampling
models - I don't know how this can really be done for television viewing
(how will we ever know how many people "really" watch a particular program
on a given night? Maybe every 4 years we could have 2 weeks when the only
way to access any program on any platform would be to log-in and complete
some basic demographics, and this could be used as a baseline to adjust
sampling methods.

I don't fully understand what Nielsen does - if it were me I would try to
get demographically accurate samples of the US population, then get as rich
a record of total viewing behavior as possible from each individual in the
sample (e.g. tv sets, computers, bars, college dorms, airplanes, etc). A
method that relies just on monitoring what programs are tuned on specific
household television sets seems doomed to being wildly inaccurate.