On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Ron Casalotti <roncasalo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I believe it is light years better than what we currently have.
> Conclusive analysis of statistical samples was great when it was
> impossible to register the audience population as a whole, or on a
> continual basis. Throw in "sweeps" programming" and the true picture
> gets distorted even further. But had this been the end of the
> discussion I'd agree that this approach is better -- but not
> tremendously so.
>
> However, we live in an age where video consumption is migrating at
> ever increasing rates from the home TV screen to the PC in all its
> glorious forms including house-bound desktops and portable laptops, to
> the skyrocketing popularity of tablets like the iPad (with literally
> hundreds of more choices to come) and the equally burgeoning mobile
> access via smartphones. In fact, for the 1st time in 20 yrs the
> percentage of television ownership dropped. Blame digital conversion
> and new devices (http://ow.ly/4MiFj) . (SNIP)
>
> And so any broadcast medium measurement that includes, in a
> significant way, digital viewer ship and just as importantly, digital
> public sentiment, is better than one that does not. No, it's not
> perfect, but I think we can agree it's a move in the right direction
> (and, I'd add, long overdue).

Except - the method cited in the article is not measuring digital views of
television programs - at least, that is not all it is doing. It is including
a measure of how often television programs are mentioned on sites like
Twitter and Facebook. These kinds of mentions are at least as easily
manipulated as Sweeps Weeks stunts (more so, likely), and of course, are
indirect measures of actual viewership. If I am advertising a product on
Glee, in the end I want to know how many people are actually watching the
program (on whatever platform), not how many people are talking about the
program.

 I don't dispute that online buzz may be an important predictor of how
popular a program might become, adn how "cool" or "hip" it might be
perceived to be (which may have some rub off value on my product being
advertised).  I also do not dispute that there are serious problems with the
sampling methods and viewership records used by Nielsen. I do dispute that
notion that any thing would be better than what we currently have, and I
also dispute that notion that there is fundamentally a superior method to
random sampling. Unless you have a way of actually accessing every viewing
device in the country and monitoring what is being watched by the entire
population, I don't think there is a more accurate method for estimating
viewership of television programs than identifying a random (stratified)
sample and then measuring their viewing as accurately as possible. One
problem with Nielsen is in their strategy of measuring what programs are
being watched on specific television sets, rather than identifying a sample
and finding out what programs they are watching, regardless of platform or
location.