You are correct that Pew's study said that only 20 million people (8%
of Americans 12+) use Twitter -- but 92% had heard of it. Twitter is
the kind of site where you do not need to register to see what someone
says if you have a link to their profile page.

 But Facebook is the marketing/consumption social network of choice
with nearly 700 million worldwide users. A recent study by Edison
Research and Arbitron states that 51% of Americans12+ use that
.
Some more social media data:
  - 46% of Americans 12+ check their social media sites more than once
a day
  - 88% have Internet access, and 86% of those have broadband access
-- essential for video streaming
  - 55% of Facebook users are aged 25-54; 52% are women
  - Twitter is the second largest Search Engine in the world (behind
Google), ahead of bing and Yahoo! -- combined.

Anyway, I agree it's not perfect, but still think this is better than
diaries and people meters in measuring popularity and impact as people
tend to talk about, and spend time interacting with, things (brands,
companies, and TV shows) they like.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ