[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I wrote a small routine that will go through Savedlists, HOLD files,
> ST.PPROCES records, etc. and selectively delete the records that are no
> longer needed but I have been stopped by my VP.
>
> She wants justification for the process.  I don't have the knowledge to be
> able to give her what she wants.  I've tried the following arguments with no
> luck:
>
> Savedlists can be outdated as soon as they are created.
> Taking up too much server room.

Savedlists should never be re-used. By their very nature they are ephemeral.

If a program created them, they should be recreated every time.

If a user created them, they should be recreated every time.

Pretty much the same holds true of the hold file. And ime, a full hold file can
noticeably impact system performance - okay we're running on Windows, but when
I filled the hold file with temporary files, I regularly got user complaints.

Tell your VP you'll back &SAVEDLISTS&, &HOLD& to CD before you clean them up,
and no you should not get any complaints because those files were *designed* as
temporary work areas, not as data storage places.

Cheers,
Wol