&SAVEDLISTS& is usually a directory file. Depending on your OS, putting
a lot of files in a directory can be very innefficient. Records in
&HOLD& can be very large, so disk space could be a good argument there.
On the other hand, deleting saved lists can be problematic: are you sure
no one wants that list anymore? Are you sure that that list you
identified as being "old" and are about to delete hasn't just been
re-written by a program reusing the name? I don't think the list verbs
do a lot with locking.