Seems to me a move to Linux would be better since they are probably more familiar with a nix system. The spoolers are completely different. Whatever way you do decide then you should use uvbackup and uvrestore to move your accounts. It's simple from either the command line or the Uniadmin front end. Read up on it. When the files are restored with uvrestore the magic numbers are corrected and you can automatically resize the files. If the accounts are small enough you can even back them up to files and copy them over to the new system through the network or to a cd/dvd if you have a cd or dvd burner and put it on the new system. If it has to be tape you can uvbackup to the tape. If you have to use cpio or tar then shut down the database before making the copies. If you copy using windows then use the dos xcopy because the windows copy will not copy some of the files.

----- Original Message ----- From: "MAJ Programming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:17 AM
Subject: [U2] New UV system

All:

I have a client running UV on SCO on a 486/Pentium-1 looking box. They would
like to move everything to a contemporary box.

While I don't create systems, I would like some suggestions on which kind of
W2000-class server to hold a 5 user version of UV. I don't want to switch
databases to UD or D3 etc as the $ isn't there for the conversion (me).

Unless absolutely imperative, I do not want a unix-based system.

I would also be in the market for some phone-based assistance on the backup as it's done through an automated process in the UV app and I'm not that familiar
with UV/UD backups or restores. One thing I would like would be to resize
(down) most of the data files. I think it is a dds4 tape.

I'm even game for a gently-used smaller system.

Thanks in advance
Mark Johnson