Sorry.. I meant dual-core AMD Opteron for a Windows server, not the X2 64
chips. You can do fine with X2's on an unstressed Linux server. You will
want to look at the Opteron 200 series for 2-way setups. The 100 series
Opterons are for single-CPU setups. You *can* run one 100 series CPU on a
dual-CPU board, but it's not recommended with upgrading in mind. If you plan
on upgrading in the near future, you will have to swap the 100 series chip
you just bought for a comparable 200. At the same time, you have to buy your
second chip. Doing that is much cheaper up-front, but upgrading can become
expensive later.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries