Chips aren't noisy. The cooling systems on them and in the cases are.
That's Dell's ducted single-fan passive CPU cooling at work. I have AMD's
all around here, as well as one Xeon, and I have relatively low noise. I
build servers here to my specs and one of the things I strive for is low-RPM
high-flow fans along with quiet power supplies. Having said that, the 5150+
Woodcrest Xeons are a bit cooler than comparable Opterons since they use
less power. Regardless, they both still need decent air flow. Maybe the air
flow design was changed between the two models? Or perhaps the O/S isn't
throttling the fan on the Opteron box?

  With regards to cost, yes you can drop a load of cash on Opterons, when
you compare them with a Xeon in the same Mhz range. Core speed isn't the
entire comparison for a cost point. You should compare cache levels and MIPS
benchmarks instead. Which model Opteron did you just buy and which Xeon(s)
did you originally buy? I'll see if I can dig up some benchmarks.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries
phone: (910) 332-0424