Cost-wise, consider a dual-core AMD X2 system. If you have a little more
funds, the 5140 or 5150 Xeons are well cached chips for the money. Either
way, get a dual-CPU mainboard that is one-CPU capable so that you can drop
in an "upgrade" chip later as CPU demand increases. (Trust me, it will..)

  Keep in mind that each client IP will take a Windows user license if you
plan on serving files via sharing. The max connections/licenses, if I'm not
mistaken, is still 10 for non-server versions of Windows. Linux would be a
better fit all around for a server, but that's my opinion. I have 4 Debian
boxen and one RHEL box running servers here.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries
phone: (910) 332-0424