Hi all,

Beware....

1) $UDTBIN/dbpause
2) Break the RAID-1 mirror
3) $UDTBIN/dbresume
4) Backup the offline mirror disk

This guarantees you a backup where there are no structural integrity problems from saving files in the middle of a change to overflow pointers, etc but it does not necessarily give you a backup that has business level data integrity.

Unless your application uses transaction processing throughout (and few do), the dbpause may occur in the middle of a business level transaction. For example, if I transfer money between two client accounts, the dbpause may occur between taking it out of one account and adding to the other. If I restore the backup, the money is in neither account (Good news really... I've made a profit!).

The only way to guarantee business level data integrity in non-transactional applications is to force all users off the system briefly while you do steps 1 - 3.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200 -------