I agree, agile and scrum are the way to go....

However, this is not just a term for no specifications and an open ended
project.

This methodology requires a commitment of time and effort by all
parties, most importantly a dedicated person from the business tied to
the project who has a stake in the project, not just a BA or someone who
cannot directly or quickly make decisions about what direction or
priorities the project should take. This person, is responsible for
seeing that the project delivers what the business requires quickly and
iteratively...therefore lessoning any chance that is does not deliver
what and when.

If this happens then the project will deliver what the business requires
when it is completed. (at least that phase). This in contrast to a lot
off waterfall style projects where the business does not often know what
they need, at least in detail and so a spec is just a best guess. If not
then it will take a very long time to get it 99% accurate with no
payback for the business, (it will never be 100% unless the project is
very simple). Consequently, there will always change control issues,
debate about who should pay for the change etc...very unproductive...as
well as a BA who is acting as a translator between IT and the business.

While a spec, might be technical documentation, it requires a lot of
effort on the part of everyone to write it but more importantly to
maintain it going forward...as I find when the going gets tough and time
and money is short...documentation is the first to go, a decision made
by who is paying the bills not anyone elses...This is where agile and
scrum come to the fore...however it does require a culture change within
the entire organization to that of a shared partnership between all
parties striving for the betterment of the business rather than a
confrontational approach which a formal spec signoff/ contract
represents...

My 2 cents.