On Wed, 19 May 2010, Glen Batchelor wrote:

>   Just about everything gets converted to PostScript by CUPS and filters, so
> I don't follow you.

My understanding is that CUPS deals with things at a job level, but not at
a graphical element level. So for instance, if I have a TIF file I can
feed it to CUPS as such, and the filters in CUPS can convert it to
PostScript, if that's what's needed.

But suppose I want to draw a red line from point A to point B on a page.
Then I want to print in Arial 23 point bold, rotated 15 degrees. A Windows
printer driver lets me do that, and have it come out correctly on
thousands of kinds of printers. I don't believe CUPS gives me that fine
level of control. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
 company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA