I'll embed comments since it'll be easier to direct my responses.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries
 phone: (910) 332-0424
   fax: (910) 763-5664
E-mail: webmas...@all-spec.com
   Web: http://www.all-spec.com
  Blog: http://blog.all-spec.com

  I need a markup-based PS/PDF generating solution that accepts embedded
PS/EPS as well as JPEG/GIF images. Barcode markup will be a nice addition,
but not required since I can generate PS and PCL content myself.

> Let me give you the scope of things. I just did a full build of
> printwiz.exe; that is, just the main program that does all the dirty work.
> It's 550,432 lines of code! It has a PCL reader, a PDF writer, a PDF
> reader (coming soon), graphics file input routines (some purchased), an
> interface to Windows faxing, Windows sockets, and Windows scanning, SSL,
> CDO, MAPI, SMTP, the Windows spooler, FTP, HTTP, and Windows printer
> drivers (yes, we do use those for most printing output). It has some user
> interface, notably the print previewer, but not a lot. It can read files
> in formats PCL-5, PCL-6 (some), JPG, TIFF, BMP, WMF, EMF, SPL, TXT, PWML,
> HTML, PDF, Unicode, and more. It deals with input and output of TrueType
> fonts and does fine-grained manipulation on them. It prints in most world
> languages.

 Let's break a few things down and compare:

PCL input and output is covered under Ghostscript, though some complex PCL6
stuff may be buggy. Find a bug and report it at this point. It will get
fixed. Generic PCL3/4 stuff should be solid at this point, but I would
verify with the devs. The XPS/GPDL code has been out for a while now.

PDF/PS/EPS input and output are covered under Ghostscript.

ImageMagick can handle image generation, manipulation, and conversion to a
ton of formats.

Ghostscript can output a variety of raster and vector image formats, but the
input formats are limited since the application is vector based. I've not
found a situation where I couldn't convert between multiple standard formats
with ImageMagick and Ghostscript at my grasp.

Faxing is a no-brainer with Hylafax or Hylafax++ using TIF or PS files. Most
faxing applications will accept either format so Hylafax was just an example
of a typical app that is installed.

Most *nix servers that communicate with the world, or the employees in the
office, run a local MTA so an embedded SMTP client will not be needed. Send
it with the "mail" or "sendmail" command so that the admin has more control
over how the mail is processed.

FTP? If you absolutely have to, but most *nix admins I know of mock the user
when that acronym is suggested. SCP is far superior in a ton of ways
including speed and security.

HTTP? Erm, how exactly are you suggesting that? You serve stuff through IIS?
If so, lighttpd or Apache can be there depending on requirements. If you've
embedded an HTTP server, don't bother on *nix. There are plenty of http
servers you can hook directly or indirectly into.

Windows printing drivers? While some obscure printers are problematic in
CUPS configuration, I've never had an issue making programmatic
paper/drawer/slot/etc selections when a PPD was available and installed
properly. I'm willing to bet the *nix admin(s) running the equipment
selected printers better suited to CUPS than Windows, so I wouldn't worry
too much about that.

The other formats you mention like WMF and SPL are pretty pointless here.
Text is a given, along with TIFF, JPEG, and BMP. HTML and PWML are where
your expertise and experience with rendering content from mark-up could
really help make a great Linux product. Not having table support, though, is
a huge missing feature. If I misread the tech guide, please correct me.
Having CSS control in HTML would be just awesome. Instead of changing the
HTML attributes to make layout and small design changes, I would just need
to update the styles. I've not seen an HTML->PS tool that properly and
consistently renders the HTML and one of the reasons I've wanted PrintWizard
on Linux.

> And it's not in C, it's in Delphi.
>
> Now if you're interested in a very small subset of its capabilities, there
> might be hope. Several years ago I ported it to Kylix, which is the Linux
> equivalent of Delphi. I restricted it WAY down to just outputting PDF
> files. It was moderately painful. More to the point, it was dependent on
> Kylix and several libraries it used, which I think even today would be
> less stable and future-proof than Windows. I don't know if Kylix is
> currently supported.

  I would probably redevelop it in C so you can dynamically link to the
various libraries. I'm not sure how extensive your PWML handling code is,
but I'm willing to bet there's an HTML parsing lib out there that can make
the transition relatively painless. Getting from point A to point B on *nix
is not going to be the same as on Windows, so your current architecture will
be out the window.