Bob,

 You don't directly use a printer driver to generate content for other
printers, so what you suggest is a little misleading. I understand the
Microsoft printing interface having done some coding myself. There are
drawing and publishing libraries out there that will do what you want and
produce vector or raster imaging depending on what output you're attempting.
You can then reformat that using other tools/libraries.
 The Ghostscript libraries are very powerful and there are a lot of format,
or "device", output options included. The key with the GS/GPDL library is
that everything gets processed as vector graphics. It is, afterall, based on
Postscript. Bitmaps are not handled that well, so PCL output can get
bloated. The GPDL library is getting better for PCL2PS conversion, but it's
still not perfect.
 I would note that your best success will probably come from generating
Postscript content in your tools and then leveraging the GS libs to output
PCL, inkjet, jpeg, etc output. I also suggest you stop by #ghostscript on
irc.freenode.net and chat with the devs if you're looking for a
Microsoft-like drawing and formatting library replacement. While it may be
off-topic, I'm sure someone will suggest a few options. There also is a user
and dev mailing list if you're not IRC-inclined. Don't forget about Tetex
and/or LaTex markup conversion possibilities too.

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries
 phone: (910) 332-0424