From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: 02 December 2011 18:24
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Unidata 7.1 Unresponsive UO Connection

For reference, it's a widespread myth that you need IIS to do web services
or other website integration with Windows.  That's simply not so.  IIS is an
application that provides many services including authentication, memory
management, process allocation, routing, logging, and many others.  If "all
I want is a pipe into my daatabase" then you can easily run a Windows
Service that's listening to a socket which will do whatever you want.  You
just won't get all of those other services.

Now, in response to not needing Windows Server, I try to avoid discussions
on religion.  ;)  Seriously, if you like like the ASP.NET model, just not
Windows or Microsoft, look into Mono
(FOSS) where you can run your code in Windows or Linux, just like Java.  Or
(slightly more practical) run a Windows 7 or XP guest in a virtual machine
over Linux.  It's just another application, about 400MB of overhead, and
shouldn't require much maintenance unless you're doing other things with it.
Of course these aren't solutions for the masses but for some sites these
solutions could be ideal in comparison with others.  YMMV