On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 15:55 -0500, John Vilsack wrote:

>         That's veeerrrrry interesting, as Arte Johnson used to say on
>         Laugh In.
>         As soemeone wha has a very strong background in the social
>         sciences, I
>         feel that natural selection, for the humans species, is more
>         culturally
>         influenced than for say chimps or gorillas. We can control,
>         either
>         consciously or unconsciosusly, our own future as a species;.
>         Right now
>         it's more unconscious than conscious.
>
> My meaning is that if we define things definitively from a project
> management viewpoint similar to the way our developers handle bugs and
> feature requests, people will naturally pick items from the list and
> work on them...the roles that we envision or predict may be far
> different than those people are actually suited for in this
> situation.

Defining things definitely - that will be the hard part. You and I are
coming at the same problems but from differet directions. However we get
to the solution is fine with me as long as we get there.

>         This is true, but, certain roles can only be filled by one
>         person at a
>         time, for instance, Fearless Leader. If more than one person
>         is willing
>         and able to fill that role, then the team needs to decide by a
>         democratic vote. That is the point I was trying to make. No
>         one should
>         be asked to do something they do not want to do, and I
>         certainly hope
>         that I did not imply otherwise.
>

> I respectfully disagree.  In fact, I would challenge to say that given
> the decided lack of action up to this point we all see from this
> group, appointing a single person in a top down approach is the
> absolute wrong thing to do.

And the decided lack of action, IMHO, has been due to the lack strong
leadership, whether a single person or a troika. And there won't be any
sustained action until there is leadership - someone to encourage,
cajole, prod people into action.

> My recommedation is to nominate from the floor at least three members
> of the group to form the core-marketers team that would be voted on in
> a manner deemed appropriate by either the Community Council or by a
> quorum at a marketing meeting.  From there, this new "council" could
> begin accepting applications to the core group based on similar
> qualifications that exist within the core-developers process.

IMHO, the leadership - single or collective - needs two wualifications
and twoonly: 1] they have the necessary skills and background in
marketing; 2] they have the skills and talents to lead

Personally, I feel the team itself needs to pick its leadership not have
it imposed from outside the team. Leaderahip chosen by the team itself
will have an easier time leading than that imposed by someone outside
the team. Also, its more democratic that way.

> Assuming that three members are chosen, it could also be determined by
> the three that an "executive override" position could be created if
> the need for a final vote came up.
>
> This should be alot less about titles and alot more about getting
> things done.  A team of three is able to keep each others'
> responsibilities, workloads, and accountabilities in check.

Amen to that!!!! Besides, Fearless Leader(s) has a nice ring to it LOL

> Maintaining a strong and inviting atmosphere that allows new members
> to be welcomed with open arms and integrate tightly into the existing
> workload is a tough job.  You have to balance ego, people's
> expectations of how we will respond to them and their needs, and a
> healthy respect for their pro-bono time and effort they are dedicating
> to the project you are responsible for.

I understand your point. Been there, on both sides of the equation.

> I'm modeling my ideas based on a similar experience founding a 501(c)3
> charity I helped found.  Its not a perfect science, but when people
> have nothing but good intentions reinforcing their discipline and
> commitment to a project, you have to hold that in the highest of
> regards.

I am quite familiar with the model. I have served on several 501c3
boards of directors as well as being the director of development for one
- first as a volunteer and later, when the agency was profitable, as a
paid position.

--
Peace!

John

You do have choice on what operating system you use:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

I am an Ubuntu user!
My profile: https://launchpad.net/~jbotscharow
My wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnBotscharow