On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Fòram na Gàidhlig <
f...@foramnagaidhlig.net> wrote:

> >     It should also be possible for volunteers to give Canonical a shout
> so
> >     they can apply to register with the translation agency/agencies if
> >     they want to. Why should others earn the money rather than those
> >     people who have dedicated tons of their free time over the years. It
> >     would also serve translation consistency.
> >

> > I agree on the consistency with guidelines, but my personal suggestion
> > is to keep things simple and for Ubuntu Translators to focus on
> > translating the regular Ubuntu as usual. As I said, these projects if
> > and when they come up are generally the minority, and have generally
> > critical deadlines, thus it's more efficient to outsource them. They are
> > also usually based on a list of target languages, meaning manufacturers
> > are only interested in a subset of languages to be complete, which could
> > open the door to those language teams outside that list feeling
> > discriminated. In Ubuntu/Canonical we're in a unique position to have a
> > fine balance between volunteer contributions and business, which is
> > often challenging, but it's been proven to work over the years, and in
> > this particular one, and to answer the question, that would be what I
> > would personally recommend.
>
> I don't expect to personally get any work out of this - I am translating
> into a minority language, and I am not holding my breath for
> manufacturers requiring 100% translations for it. I am still thinking
> about how we might get more benefit for those translators who might get
> a chance at some money here. For freelancers, they might pick the Ubuntu
> job over another job to make the deadline work ;)
>
> As I said, I work as a professional localizer and I do volunteer work as
> time allows. Others might be in a similar situations, and it might be of
> benefit to them to know which agency or agencies to send a CV to. If the
> CV is accepted then depends on the agency anyway and will be out of
> Canonical's hands.
>
> How about disclosing the list of agencies Ubuntu is working with, so
> translators can approach them and apply with them? We wouldn't
> necessarily need to publish the languages with this information, since
> the required languages can change at any time anways at the whim of the
> manufacturers.

Thanks. I do see the points, and while I agree with some of them, complex
logistics and disclosing business arrangements are my main concerns. In any
case, that's a concrete suggestion we can work with. I will consult it for
feasibility, but to set the expectations, I'm not sure it'd be possible:
this might require not only publishing business details of projects, but
also the agencies would have to agree to make their agreements public.

Cheers,
David.