On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM, David Planella
<david.plane...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Yes, I was thinking along those lines: doing a call for translations by a
> given milestone [1], perhaps with a signoff, similarly to what we do for
> language packs. I'd propose to keep it lightweight so that there is not too
> much work involved in paperwork (or wikiwork :), though. Any suggestion from
> teams would be welcome here.

+1
Something along the line of what we do with the langpack sounds good:
it's not intrusive and easy to achieve.
Then here though, as you said in your first email, a string freeze
policy would be necessary, along with string freeze exceptions
handling and (most important!) communicating.

> It depends on who writes the code, but on most cases it ends up being a
> private project in Launchpad. Obviously the number of private projects is
> kept to a minimum, but unfortunately not all cases will eventually be open
> sourced, and it is not always known in advance which will be. Ideally, we
> could open up translations in Launchpad, but that'd make the projects
> themselves visible as well, which might not be ideal for some manufacturers
> in terms of making public what will be included in their phones ahead of the
> release.

Yeah, I imagined that. It was worth exploring as a possibility.
If those who write the apps are willing to open the translations to
the community though, even offline, that I guess can be handled on a
per-case basis. I don't think there will be that many.

> My personal suggestion here would be
> to enable Ubuntu Translators to modify or complete the translations once the
> code is available. I know it's not a perfect solution, but I think it's the
> easiest in term of managing the logistics and working with manufacturers.

As long as we are able to review them later, as is the case nowadays,
I think is still good.
Ciao!

--
Milo Casagrande <m...@ubuntu.com>