On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On 2015-04-23 17:56, David Planella wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Milo Casagrande <m...@ubuntu.com
> > <mailto:m...@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
> >     How would the part of the "Ubuntu Translators have stated that they
> do
> >     not have time" work?
> >     Is there going to be a call for translations (knowing maybe in
> advance
> >     the language that need to be 100%) and a request of commitment by
> >     those language teams? It can be hard and demanding on the team, but
> >     knowing in advance the teams that are willing to commit even with
> >     short notice could help in having a more community translated phone
> in
> >     the first place.
> >
> > Yes, I was thinking along those lines: doing a call for translations by
> > a given milestone [1], perhaps with a signoff, similarly to what we do
> > for language packs.
>
> If I understand it correctly, this would be quite different compared to
> how we deal with language packs. For the latter, before release, we
> don't call for anything, but rather hope that the language teams
> translate as much as possible. After release there are language pack
> updates where we call for *testing*.

Hi Gunnar,

Indeed, you are right, hence my stress on "similarly" :)

In practical terms, I was thinking of sending a call for translations
before releasing an important milestone, be it pre-release (the most
critical, as it would have the most strings) or post-release (on OTA
updates, which should generally have very few new strings). The phone is
also different from the desktop release cycle: there is one continuous
channel of development, from which images are promoted to the stable
channels [1] after they have passed the QA tests. So in a way it's a
rolling release for translators, and we'll need to strike a balance between
this fact and giving enough notice to translators to complete translations
for release candidates.

> > I'd propose to keep it lightweight so that there is
> > not too much work involved in paperwork (or wikiwork :), though.
>
> Lightweight is good. ;)

Ack :)

Cheers,
David.