Hiya Rowan,

You may have already tried this, and if so feel free to ignore this
email.

I don't suppose you have an Ubuntu LiveCD about? These can be downloaded
from the Ubuntu website if you don't and burnt to a CD-R.

<additional information you may want to skip, I'm uncertain as to your
familiarity with Linux and Ubuntu to so please feel free to jump
anything you already know>

The LiveCD gives you an Ubuntu environment running of the CD with all of
Ubuntu's default settings. Unless you click the install and go through
the installer, it should make no changes to your current computer
configuration.

<end additional information>

If you can boot your computer from one of these, and the network works,
then all we have to identify is which network card you have and which
modules you need to install. If so this is a very easy task if you can
get the results from a couple of commands to us. The best one to send to
the list is the result from running lspci* in a terminal and the bit
that says something like "Ethernet Controller". Mine looks like
"00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
(rev 11)"

Hope this helps somewhat.

-Matt Daubney

* You might be used to working in a terminal already, but just in case,
open a terminal (applications -> accessories -> Terminal) and type:

lspci

then enter. This will tell us everything that is connected to a PCI type
adapter in your laptop.