I'm afraid I'm not familiar with eeepc. Nor what the Kernel differences
are.

Which is the default option (the one its on when the menu first comes
up). If is the 3rd option, then try booting the first (probably the
latest) kernel.

Also, when you say "it shows you are running". Where are you getting
that from. Can you type "uname -a" in a terminal and post that info.

Cheers,
Michael