On 04/10/12 16:18, Colin Law wrote:
On 4 October 2012 15:54, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was thrilled when I recently got a brand new laptop for the 2nd time in my
life. It's a budget model but I figured with 4Gb DDR3 and a 500Gb HDD it was
a massive improvement over my ageing dell which had only a 60Gb drive. The
new machine was a catalogue purchase where they listed it as simply having a
Pentium processor. I joked at the time that this either means they were too
lazy to type i3 or that it comes with a processor from 1995! It is a Packard
Bell EasyNote TK85.

Little did I know how right I was! The performance is a joke! Playing music
in Banshee while browsing web pages leads to light skipping. Using certain
sites firefox greys out and freezes every 30 seconds or so! It's just not
coping.

I never ran Windows on it, wiping the drive before it completed the first
boot was extremely satisfying, however having realised a friend's Acer 5733z
is literally identical, all bar cosmetic changes to the trackpad, power
button etc, it got me thinking. They haven't complained about anything on
their machine. Both have the Pentium P6200 processor.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit on there at the moment. I was wondering if
someone could suggest a distro which is less podgy to install and see if
that works any better.
It might be worth selecting unity-2d at logon time (click on the gear
next to the user name in the logon screen and select unity-2d) to see
if that helps.  In fact it probably will not as you are probably
already using unity-2d as the graphics h/w likely does not support 3d
anyway.  Worth a go though.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, try Lubuntu.

Colin

I'm using unity 3d but in some ways the machine excels, it ships with an HDMI port and as I said when using Windows on the Acer there are no issues. I was thinking there must be a lot to be saved by using a non Ubuntu distro or seriously tweaking Ubuntu. For instance do I really need the bluetooth features on a laptop without bluetooth? As for Unity 2D, I'm loathed to do that is it's a stop-gap, what will I do in future versions where 2D is being removed?