On 4 October 2012 16:28, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using unity 3d but in some ways the machine excels, it ships with an
> HDMI port and as I said when using Windows on the Acer there are no issues.
> I was thinking there must be a lot to be saved by using a non Ubuntu distro
> or seriously tweaking Ubuntu. For instance do I really need the bluetooth
> features on a laptop without bluetooth? As for Unity 2D, I'm loathed to do
> that is it's a stop-gap, what will I do in future versions where 2D is being
> removed?

Still worth trying it to see if it makes a difference.  All you have
to do is log out and in again.
Are you sure it is using 3d?  It seems surprising that they would
spend money on 3d graphics h/w with a low spec processor.  If the h/w
will not support it then Ubuntu will silently drop back to 2d.

Colin