Mr. Ojambo

I have looked at this issue very closely. The issue is not federalism the issue is to have a government which cares for the welfare of her people. The basic needs of the people.

Federalism in a nation like Uganda will never work. Why? Countries like Germany , USA , Switzerland are all federal states with huge amounts of budgetary provisions. What is happening in these countries today- they are legalising all the above problems as a solution to do away with state social responsibility.

Exactly in the same way as Netherlands , Britain etc.

If the centre has no money the federal state send their people on streets into drugs , prostitution, , homelessness etc.

These problems are problems of a welfare state derived from the decline of the industrial society - which are not quite different problems from states with municipal political organisation structures.

Municipality politics is not quite different from federal states, particularly when it comes to the distribution of resources- that is taxes. The US is a very good example to this phenomena followed with Germany.

I am therefore strongly opposed to that social structuring, since Uganda has masters and slaves. Slaves can't question the masters and this will even be more illuminated in federal states.

I have else where written extensively on the demise of decentralisation which is more or less based on tribal enclaves. If decentralisation could not deliver then the problem is else where.

http://pub59.ezboard.com/fugandamanufacturersassociationfrm1.showMessage?topicID=37.topic

The district chief is greater than a small god- while those under him or her are smaller than insects. I have got vivid example when I tried to start up something through these entities.

The failure to social transformation in Uganda is starkly with the government itself which has all the time manipulate the people first to reach goals which are divorced from national goals- the money spent in the Congo and on the war in Acoli can revamp all towns in Uganda.

Have you ever heard the government create a plan to which all district had to deliver? NO. Federal state build houses, schools, food for children, pensions - can Uganda government offer the same? Look at UPE school which are brown apart by winds!

Hard we done as i have said above, then the problem therefore will be of an economic character than politics, tribe,clan or religion as we have been made to believe just only yesterday.

In federal states there are national standards and of course national economic goals. In Uganda if you get a pajero - the rest can take cares of itself !!

bwanika

> Bwanika:
>
> you ask
> ">-Should Uganda become a federal state based on religion, tribe,
clans or
> what?
>
> Having lived in two federal countries, the answer to your question
needs is
> yes. We need federalism, not on clan but some viable entities. I am
now a
> very strong believer in federalism as the best way forward in Uganda.
I am
> still at a loss to understand for instance, how Jinja, once Uganda's
leading
> industrial centre is now a ghost town. What exactly happened to
Jinja?
> Where were the leaders from Busoga? What is there in Busoga to show
that
> until last week it had some of the most powerful voices in cabinet?
>
> Go to Busia and Malaba, these are Uganda's cash cows in that that is
where a
> big chunck of customs revenue is derived. What is there to show for
in
> Busia and Malaba? Look at the latest cabinet, some regions are
marginalized
> as never before. Look at the land crisis in Bunyoro that has left the
> banyoro to ask: iffe abanyoro twabakii? and could soon explode into
some
> form of "ethnic cleansing", look at the half hearted efforts to end
the Kony
> war, look at the cattle rustling in North-Eastern Uganda. All these
point
> to the need for a fresh approach in Uganda.
>
> Would Eastern Uganda be as marginalized today if Uganda was a federal
state?
> Would all the problems above and others be allowed to fetter for so
long?
> Would Jinja have collapsed? Would the poor peasants of Bulemezi who
lost
> everything still be camping in Kampala pleading for some handouts?
>
> Definetly things can't worse than they are in Uganda today. Some are
against
> federalism because it will create divisions, but divisions exist in
Uganda.
> Can divisions really get worse? Consider sectarianism, tribalism can
it
> really get worse than it is the case today? Corruption? Lack of
> accountability? Marginalization? Allienation of entire areas? What is
the
> best way to heal our wounds and the wounds are quite deep?
>
> Mr. Bwanika, go ahead and take a hard look at federalism. The peasants
you
> want to empower can best be helped under a federal arrangement. So go
ahead
> and consult with your DFWA-U colleagues (why Justice party again)
with a view