On 16/08/2017 21:04, Neil J. McRae wrote:
If your quick crack on- but with USO, 4GPro, GFAST and 5G our intent
is to offer our services everywhere - we have been clear about that
for sometime.

We do have 4G if you get in exactly the right spot by the window, but the data caps make it impractical for family connectivity. (Satellite has a similar problem).

g.fast sounds like another half-arsed excuse not to do fibre properly. On our island pretty much everyone only gets a flaky 1Mbps, by the time you've patched it up to do g.fast how much extra would it have been to just go full fibre?

The USO is what makes things a bit more interesting. Without it I'd be very surprised to see Openreach upgrading the smaller islands so community projects like this one would have a lot more time to raise money, recruit volunteers and build their network. But now there's a time limit. If Openreach are only going to sweat their copper a bit more with yet more DSL then community fibre may still be viable, but if they're going to decide to do the job once and do it properly, which means FTTP, then maybe not.
--
David Derrick
Systems & Network Engineer