When I've seen the "c-underbar" in print, it has always meant "circa", as
in "circa 1800".
    Jim

At 10:14 PM 2001-12-01 +0000 Saturday, Michael Everson wrote:
>>(As a side note, this "o-underbar" form reminds me of the "c-underbar" which
>>is sometimes used in handwritten English to mean "with."  Does anyone know
>>the origin of this symbol?  Is it possibly derived from the Latin word cum,
>>meaning "with"?  Does it have any claim to being a character in its own
>>right?)
>
>I've never seen this in handwritten English. Cappelli's Dizionario di
>Abbreviature latine ed italiane shows several abbreviations for cum, none
>of which are a c with underbar.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =