In Ubuntu you have an icon besides the clock that looks like 2 small
computers, thats the "manual Network Configuration" you have a manual
configuration option at the bottom when you scrool, it also show's
wireless network's if any.

As comparison it doesn't look like you have any working wifi on your pc
?

Heres my "iwconfig"

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wifi0     no wireless extensions.

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:13 dBm   Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-96 dBm  Noise level=-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:88014  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

I don't use the wifi in my pc (have router for that part) but it is ok
and working

Take a peek here:

System > Administration > Restricted Drivers Manager

I have to use "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)" otherwise the wifi
NIC named ath0 wont work.

Try the Ubuntu forums, and just google around, I'm also a linux n00b i
started 2 months ago and i'm truly amazed by the wealth of information
that is aviable on Linux, if you fine tune your googling skills you
find everything

--
Mnyb