First of all thanks to everyone for helping me out.  I am connecting my
computer (desktop) to my wireless router with a wired connection.  And
now, the embarrassing part; it appears that my wireless connection to
my Squeezebox was working and I didn't know it.  My router sits behind
my monitor so I couldn't see the wireless activity indicator flashing.

I didn't know it because I didn't do anything to configure it and the
SB3 is the only device on the WLAN, so I had no way of testing.  And
since the SB3 came up with the display dimmed, I assumed (I really have
to stop that!) that there was no connection.  To my surprise, I am able
to receive internet radio and my connection is stable.

As a temporary measure, I loaded some of my library onto my on-board
drive, and specified it in setup.  The SB3 can browse the library, but
it gets connection timed out errors.  I am guessing that there is some
permissions problem.  I will be proactive and do some digging.

Anyway, thanks to all for your help in getting me this far.
buelligan

--
buelligan