I have one RPi running LMS and also Squeezelite and another RPi running
picoreplayer as just a squeezelite client.

It seems to work ok on local music (though we don't listen to much of
it...) our use is mainly Radio 4 and Tidal.

Radio 4 is very glitchy at certain peak times, but we get the occasional
"pop" almost all the time, which I think is re-buffering, and we get
this on Tidal too.  Very random, and almost imperceptible at times.
It's driving my wife nuts.  We have a reasonable internet connection
(15MB) and when we used a windows PC for server and a SBT as client, we
didn't get glitches to the same degree.

So, I think we may need to tweak something - but what?