I shifted my approach a little, now heading in the direction as seen
below.  I think I like the look of this the best so far.  I spent way
too much time trying to figure out either:

1. Globally set the alpha channel of all pixels for /dev/fb0 to get some
transparency in the linux frame buffer.
2. Globally set the alpha channel of all pixels on a dispmanx layer to
get some transparency and then change the layer assigned to linux
(-127).

I never got either of those methods working.  Basically I wanted to get
blurred, full screen background image in a dispmanx layer behind the
semi-transparent linux console layer then the full resolution cover art
in a dispmanx layer above the linux console:

blurred background layer ==> semi-transparent linux console layer ==>
cover art layer

I threw in the towel on both 1 and 2 above and now have this order as
seen in the screenshots below:

linux console layer  ==> semi-transparent blurred background layer ==>
cover art layer

The semi-transparent background layer allows the cava audio visualizer
running in the console to show through, though the colors are a bit
muted which might actually be a good thing.  I've managed to get the
time needed to download, convert, manipulate and display the images to
about 2.5s.  I'd like it a bit faster but it's better than the 9+
seconds I was getting initially before I started to optimize the
graphicsmagick conversion steps.

|Filename: snapshot3.jpg                                            |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26037|