I've spent a lot of time on this today and I'm about to throw in the
towel.  All I need is the ability to do basic image manipulations on
just a couple of file types AND the ability to add text to the image.  I
can't believe the amount of baggage that ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
bring with them.  GraphicsMagick is much faster at the image
manipulation steps so I decided pretty quickly to scrap ImageMagick.
GraphicsMagick's documentation isn't as good though.  I figured adding
text to the images for album and song info was going to be easy (and it
is if you bring in a ton of dependencies like the stock repo package
does).  I figure I'd recompile myself and strip out most everything.
What a nightmare.

I also tried to build the gmic cli utility thinking it would do what I
need but I can't get it to compile.

Convert to png and add some text?  Does it really take 25 different
packages?? Any suggestions?