Roland0 wrote:

> iirc netpbm won't do text, so you'll need another package in any case.

See screenshot below, text generate with netpbm tool "pbmtext".

> I'd assume GraphicsMagick will be the fastest / most light-weight
> solution (single call / one package for doing everything).

I'm sure you are right about this but I'm invested in the netpbm
solution and after much hair pulling have it working satisfactorily,
albeit a little slow at generating the backgroung @ 4 secs.

> Updated version (artist pic incl. caching - if you want to persist over
> reboots, change /dev/shm to something on SD card)

How are you checking for song changes, or did I miss that?  Are you
polling for changes every few seconds?

> Since squeezelite can export visualization data, I've added native
> support for it in cava.

Cool!  I'll give it a shot!