BitStream wrote:
> @psketch
>
> It's the same for me on a b3+, HDMI is not displayed here. I've been
> trying everything for two days but I only get the headphones displayed.

  >   > tc@picore:~$ aplay -l
  > card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones
[bcm2835 Headphones]
  > Subdevices: 8/8
  > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  > Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  > Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  > Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  > Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  > Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  > Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  > Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

  >   > tc@picore:~$ aplay -L
  > null
  > Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  > default
  > plugequal
  > equal
  > hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
  > bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones
  > Direct hardware device without any conversions
  > plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
  > bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones
  > Hardware device with all software conversions
  > sysdefault:CARD=Headphones
  > bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones
  > Default Audio Device
  > dmix:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
  > bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones
  > Direct sample mixing device
--------------------

Hi

As Paul mentioned in another post, the kernel version for 7.x uses
different devices for the audio/headphone output and HDMI, and so will
only show the HDMI devices if the Pi thinks it's connected to an HDMI
display.  After having selected HDMI and rebooted, I wasn't seeing
anything still, since that Pi is connected to the HDMI input on an amp,
and that amp doesn't tell connected devices that HDMI is there unless
the right input is active on the amp, and the monitor is on.  So, I
selected the right input on the amp, turned the monitor on, and hey
presto, I see the Pi bootup process when I restart and the HDMI device
is available as an output.  Then, adding the lines to config.txt forces
the Pi to always think there's a display there.

So, if you're not seeing anything, do you see the Pi bootup processes
etc. on the hdmi display, and is the device there when the whole display
chain is active?

pete S