paul- wrote:
> Your just using an old version of shairport-sync that way.  pCP 7 uses a
> nearly up to date version of shairport-sync (3.3.7rc2 - Aug 24, 2020
> commit).  You might want to get detailed information and take a look at
> the shairport-sync git.  https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

Thanks for that bit of info - did not know that the Shairport was not
upgraded 'Insitu'.

That makes me think a part of the issue was running different versions.

LMS 8.1 on x86_64 hardware.

OLD setup:
Pi2B - wired - IQaudiO DAC+ - pCP 7 32 bit  with insitu updates 4 -> 7.

Pi3B+ - wifi - Allo Boss DAC - pCP 4 32 bit.

So what would happen is the 3b+ with version 4 performed very well.
With 'insitu' updates the 2b also performed well - stable, no dropouts,
appeared quickly.

The clean installs on the Pi2B with version 7 - Shairport-Sync did not
seem to show up - it turns out it was just *extremely* slow.  Like over
40 seconds.

Doing insitu updates to 7 seemed to solve this, but that's perhaps
because both versions of Shairport-Sync were the same (since insitu
updates do not upgrade Shairport-sync).
To test this, I then removed the old shairport-sync from my 'insitu'
updated Pi2B, and replaced with the shairport download for pCP7.  Same
behavior - pCP 4 fine, pCP 7 now has significant delays appearing.

So I reimaged both SD cards -

NEW setup:
Pi2B - wired - IQaudiO DAC+ -  pCP 7 32 bit  *clean install
Pi3B+ - wifi - Allo Boss DAC -  pCP 7 64 bit.  *clean install

Airplay targets appear as quickly now as native Airplay devices.  Both
are rock-stable and have been for days.  No dropouts.

Perhaps mixing Shairport versions was a contributing factor?  Just
something to consider if anyone sees similar problems.

Thanks for the insight on the Shairport situation with insitu updates.
And the patience.