So after some further investigation I have 'discovered' the following:

RPI 2 B, 32-bit build, physical wired connection, LMS 8.1 (switched back
to stable on recommendations here).  IQaudiO DAC+

Shairport-Sync will remain stable and available IF you start with
version 4.0 or 4.1 of piCorePlayer, increase your FS size, and do
in-place upgrades version by version - 4.1-> 5.0 -> 6.0 -> 6.1 -> 7.0.
It will remain available on any of these versions provided you start
with 4.0 or 4.1.

A 'clean' install using the dd method with any piCorePlayer build newer
than 4.1 results in the AirPlay target dropping off of iDevices after
10-15 minutes.  Restarting Shairport-Sync or rebooting will bring it
back, but again, only for a short time.