Eric,

Good question. Here's a quick overview of where we're at from the client side:

* Fluid 0.1 had a bug in it that prevented nested Reorderers from working happily together. Michelle D'Souza managed to commit a fix for this before the holidays, so this problem should now be resolved.

* We need to minimize our JavaScript footprint by removing the rest of Dojo from the Reorderer. We've had much better luck with jQuery, and it's generally a bit smaller. Should make for lighter download times for the portal. This work is about half-finished.

* Anastasia has an in-progress branch with part of the functionality required for this Fluid portlet layout manager. It's available here: https://source.fluidproject.org/svn/fluid/components/branches/FLUID-49/ Anastasia's core change was to write a new layout handler that uses the layout JSON object sent down from the portal.

* We've got to make a couple of API changes to the layout handler to make this code a cleaner and simpler.

* Gary Thompson and Shaw-Han Liem are working on making this really easy to use. We've got a new design pattern that outlines some of the considerations, and they're working on new wireframes to ensure the interaction is simple and discoverable.

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Drag+and+Drop+-+Layout+Preview

We've been a bit behind schedule on this work, but it is now our top priority for the new year.

Have a great holiday,

Colin