You are correct, yes.  So it's impossible to do what I want to do?  I cannot
fake a form to do this itself via a servlet, but only with an application on
the user's machine?  What is special about the multipart form in my jsp page
that uploads the file, that I couldn't do the same thing in a servlet form?  I
guess I still have to "select" a file?  There is no way to fake data into the
form?  I know there is the hidden fields, but I don't think that will work.

I am trying to do this all via the web to make things easier and not have 2
separate applications in place.

The form obviously has access to the user's machine, so I don't know why we
couldn't have that same access, some way?