Shiva Kumar H R wrote:

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Shiva Kumar H R <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Peter Petersson
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

        Hi Jim

        I assume you are trying to install liferay in geronimo and not
        just generate a new plan, with you do not need to, as Shiva
        have provided you with one (the geronimo-web.xml).

        Aside from the security dependency issue you have that I hope
        **someone else** that are more familiar with the security
        (dependency) changes done between G v2.0.2 and v2.1 will help
        you with, there are a couple of more things to do:

        As the liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car is dependent (if you
        haven't changed the geronimo-web.xml regarding the db pool) on
        the liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool car, so to successfully
        install the liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car you have to
        install the derby pool **before** the
        liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car.
After a smal tweak of the META-INF/geronimo-plugin.xml
        included in the derby-pool car file you should be able to
        install the db pool by issuing

        deploy --user <user> --password <passoword> install-plugin <derby pool car
file>
        The geronimo-plugin.xml tweak consist of changing the version
        tag in the geronimo-plugin.xml to
        <version>2.1-SNAPSHOT</version> (omit -snapshot for released
        geronimo). The same command (as above) can then be used on the
        liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car (when the security
        dependency issue is fixed)

    Looks like there is more to it than just that. I have been trying
    it since yesterday and it is failing with below error:

    Installation FAILED: A plugin configuration must include one
    plugin artifact, not 0

Alright this is now solved :) . Update the geronimo-plugin.xml inside liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool-4.4.1.car with the one attached here.

(The schema for geronimo-plugin.xml has changed and I have updated it accordingly by looking at other examples.)
ahh, yes now I remember it was more to it than just the version it was a couple of weeks ago I messed around with the pool and it slipped my mind, good to here you solved it.
regards
  peter petersson
Now let me deploy liferay-portal-4.4.1.war using the plan provided by DJencks.

Shiva

    Any idea where is the source for
    liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool-4.4.1.car ?

        Maybe this link will be of some help to you even though it is
        a bit outdated
        http://wiki.liferay.com/index.php/Liferay_with_Geronimo

         regards
          peter petersson

        Jim Foster wrote:
        Shiva Kumar H R wrote:
        There are two problems, both in Plan Creator feature:
        1) Error message/Java Exceptions are suppressed by Plan Creator code and
        not
        shown to the user at all :-(

        With liferay-portal-4.4.1.war, when I ran Geronimo in debug mode and
        remote
        connected via Eclipse (with a break point put at the beginning of

org.apache.geronimo.console.configcreator.JSR88_Util.parseWarReferences()
        function inside "plancreator-portlets" module), I found that we are
        getting
        following exception:

        org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException:
AbstractWebModuleBuilder:
        Could not load servlet class: com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet

        Instead of showing this error on Console, plan creator is currently
        suppressing it in an empty catch() block.
        *GERONIMO-3850<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3850>
        *is opened for this.

        2) Secondly, I see that the class it is complaining "
        com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet" *does* exist, but inside a
        compressed jar ("portal-impl.jar") in WEB-INF/lib directory of WAR. Plan
        Creator has a current limitation :-( in resolving such classes. *
        GERONIMO-3851 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3851> *is
        opened for this.

        Due to these bugs/limitations, I am sorry to say that you will again
have
        create geronimo-web.xml by hand. I found one "geronimo-web.xml" inside
        liferay-portal-4.4.1.war itself. I have removed non-existing
dependencies
        from it and attached it in this mail. Please see if it works. (I guess
it
        requires some pre-requisite db-pools to be deployed before the WAR can
be
        deployed). Hope it helps.

        Hi Shiva,

        Is there any new word on the origins of the security configuration
errors we
        were seeing?

        I have spent a good deal of time this week reading everything I could
get my
        hands on, including a healthy chunk of the 120 Geronimo articles up at
IBM's
        developerworks.
(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?end_no=120&lcl_sort_order=asc&type_by=All+Types&sort_order=asc&start_no=1&show_all=true&sort_by=Date&search_by=&topic_by=Geronimo&search_flag=&show_abstract=true <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?end_no=120&lcl_sort_order=asc&type_by=All+Types&sort_order=asc&start_no=1&show_all=true&sort_by=Date&search_by=&topic_by=Geronimo&search_flag=&show_abstract=true>).
        However, the most recent I could find that seemed relevant to this
issue was
        on the wiki:

        http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/installation-and-configuration.html

        However, this is an installation document, and provides little in the
way of
        debugging guidelines, and I  am only now just far enough along in
wrapping
        my head around all the technologies that make up Geronimo to get myself
in
        trouble.

        Suggestions?

        Once past this, I would like your advise on how to bring up to date the
        Liferay-provided .car file for the derby pool. I looked at its
contents, and
        I see that they are clearly wrong (my guess is that they were written
for
        v1.1), but I am not quite sure how to go about fixing it so as to be in
        alignment with v2.1

        ...one step at a time though...first the security issue.

        Thank you for your time, patience, and advise.

        Jim

-- Thanks, Shiva