On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Jim Foster wrote:

Hi David,

djencks wrote:

Hi Jim,

I think I have failed to communicate what I'm trying to tell you what to
do :-)

That would explain why I had the feeling that I wasn't connecting all the dots...and which is why I took the time to explain all the details on my
end.

djencks wrote:

I've tried to explain in more detail here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a +special-purpose+server+using+maven

Now this is making sense.

I wish I had this information a week ago.

Well.... I wrote it monday and wednesday so you would have needed a time machine :-)

djencks wrote:

Two things I'm not trying to do:
1. show you how to deploy liferay on geronimo
2. give you a maven project that builds a liferay plugin and assembly

What I am trying to explain is how you can set up a maven project to build liferay plugins and assemblies, with the help of the geronimo archetypes
for these kind of projects.

It looks to me from what you are describing below that you are trying to
deploy liferay on geronimo.

Although this might seem easier at first it's not automated and is a hard
way to get a plugin let alone a server.

Automating it using maven records what you do in executable form and
should provide a simple way to track progress towards a working plugin and
something to update for new versions of liferay and geronimo.

Ok, I now understand where you are driving this.

This sounds like a far superior approach.

I have followed your instructions at your wiki page "Constructing a
special-purpose server using maven", and all goes well until the step: Build
a database plugin.

It appears that the archetype is not found.

I forgot to deploy the snapshots.

I've changed the archetype name from geronimo-module-archetype to geronimo-plugin-archetype and deployed a snapshot. I also updated the wiki page to the new archetype name. I think the (modified) instructions should now work, but you are definitely the guinea pig :-). The archetypes should download automatically but I haven't tested this.

Full output to the console:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
D:\Geronimo\plugins\liferay-parent>mvn archetype:create
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport \

-DarchetypeArtifactId=geronimo-module-archetype \

-DarchetypeVersion=2.2-SNAPSHOT \

-DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins \

-DartifactId=liferay-derby \

-Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
[INFO] Building liferay-parent
[INFO]    task-segment: [archetype:create] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------
[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class =>
'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] **************************************************************
[INFO] Starting Jakarta Velocity v1.4
[INFO] RuntimeInstance initializing.
[INFO] Default Properties File:
org\apache\velocity\runtime\defaults\velocity.properties
[INFO] Default ResourceManager initializing. (class
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl)
[INFO] Resource Loader Instantiated:
org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader
[INFO] ClasspathResourceLoader : initialization starting.
[INFO] ClasspathResourceLoader : initialization complete.
[INFO] ResourceCache : initialized. (class
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceCacheImpl)
[INFO] Default ResourceManager initialization complete.
[INFO] Loaded System Directive:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Literal
[INFO] Loaded System Directive: org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Macro [INFO] Loaded System Directive: org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Parse
[INFO] Loaded System Directive:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Include
[INFO] Loaded System Directive:
org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Foreach
[INFO] Created: 20 parsers.
[INFO] Velocimacro : initialization starting.
[INFO] Velocimacro : adding VMs from VM library template :
VM_global_library.vm
[ERROR] ResourceManager : unable to find resource 'VM_global_library.vm' in
any resource loader.
[INFO] Velocimacro : error using VM library template VM_global_library.vm : org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find
resource 'VM_global_library.vm'
[INFO] Velocimacro :  VM library template macro registration complete.
[INFO] Velocimacro : allowInline = true : VMs can be defined inline in
templates
[INFO] Velocimacro : allowInlineToOverride = false : VMs defined inline may
NOT replace previous VM definitions
[INFO] Velocimacro : allowInlineLocal = false : VMs defined inline will be
global in scope if allowed.
[INFO] Velocimacro : initialization complete.
[INFO] Velocity successfully started.
[INFO] [archetype:create]
[INFO] Defaulting package to group ID: org.apache.geronimo.plugins
[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport
ArtifactId: geronimo-module-archetype
Version: 2.2-SNAPSHOT

Then, install it using the command:
mvn install:install-file - DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport
-DartifactId=geronimo-module-archetype \
        -Dversion=2.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
there: mvn deploy:deploy-file - DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport
-DartifactId=geronimo-module-archetype \
        -Dversion=2.2-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file \
         -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport:geronimo-module-archetype:jar:2.2- SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
[INFO]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
[INFO] Total time: 3 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Feb 28 09:45:26 MST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 4M/8M
[INFO]

Did I goof, or is something amiss?

Jim

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Geronimo-v2.1- Plan-Creator-%3D%3E-Deploy-Liferay-4.1.1-tp15437773s134p15741053.html Sent from the Apache Geronimo - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.