djencks wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Jim Foster wrote:
>

>> djencks wrote:

>>> I don't think so.  Previously we've installed the liferay portal war
>>> from liferay in the local maven repo as com.liferay/liferay-portal/
>>> 4.4.1/war so we don't want another project claiming to generate the
>>> same artifactId.  In fact I tried this at first but just having a
>>> different version between input and output doesn't work -- maven
>>> objects.
>>>

>> Hi David,
>>
>> I just don't see how in your documentation you can have this:
>>
>>   mvn archetype:create \
>>     -DartifactId=liferay-portal-lesslibs \
>>
>> followed by this:
>>
>>   cd liferay-portal
>>

>> There isn't a directory liferay-portal, but there is
>> liferay-portal-lesslibs, so one or the other must be out of sync.
>>

>> Also, in your liferay-sample.jar, you have the directory structure
>>
>> liferay-parent/
>>                      pom.xml
>>
>>                      geronimo-jetty-liferay/
>>                                                       pom.xml
>>
>>                      liferay-derby/
>>                                         pom.xml
>>                                         src/
>>                                              main/
>>                                                      plan/
>>                                                             plan.xml
>>
>>                                                      resources/
>>
>>                      liferay-jetty/
>>                                         pom.xml
>>                                         src/
>>                                              main/
>>                                                      plan/
>>                                                             plan.xml
>>
>>                                                      resources/
>>
>>                      liferay-portal/
>>                                          pom.xml
>>

>> Where did the directory liferay-portal-lesslibs go?
>>
>> And where did directory liferay-portal come from?
>
> This is what happens without proper review :-).  I started with
> calling my repackaged liferay liferay-portal but the duplicate
> artifactId didn't work.  I then missed updating the name change in a
> lot of places.
>
> Hopefully it's fixed now....  waiting for your review...
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Hi David,

I am glad that this is turning out to be a productive discussion.

I have some more review notes for you.

For reference:

  Constructing a special-purpose server using maven

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a+special-purpose+server+using+maven

    [1] Preparation – find the artifacts
    [2] Set up a parent maven project
    [3] Repackage the liferay war
    [4] Build a database plugin
    [5] Build the liferay war plugin
    [6] Build an assembly
    [7] Run the project

Note:
In the following, I use the term "baseline" to mean your liferay-sample.jar
attached to your wiki doc, which builds as it should in maven (hence
"baseline"), and  "doc" to mean your wiki documentation.

[3] baseline has this:

      <version>4.4.1</version>

    whereas the doc has this:

      <version>${liferayVersion}</version>

    which produces an artifact not found error (i.e., there is no
liferayVersion defined at this point of the process).

[5] baseline has this:

      <dependency>
        <groupId>com.liferay</groupId>
        <artifactId>liferay-portal-lesslibs</artifactId>
        <version>${liferayVersion}-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <type>war</type>
        <scope>provided</scope>
      </dependency>

    whereas the doc has this:

      <dependency>
        <groupId>com.liferay</groupId>
        <artifactId>liferay-portal-lesslibs</artifactId>
        <version>${liferayVersion}</version>
        <type>war</type>
        <scope>provided</scope>
      </dependency>

    which produces

      [INFO]
      [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
      [INFO]
      [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

      GroupId: com.liferay
      ArtifactId: liferay-portal-lesslibs
      Version: 4.4.1

[6] baseline has this:

      <properties>
        <geronimoVersion>2.1</geronimoVersion>
      </properties>

    whereas the mvn command generates this:

      <properties>
        <geronimoVersion>2.2-SNAPSHOT</geronimoVersion>
      </properties>

    which produces

      [INFO]
      [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
      [INFO]
      [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

      GroupId: org.apache.geronimo.assemblies
      ArtifactId: assemblies
      Version: 2.2-SNAPSHOT

[7] I see the same PermGen error.

I wonder if we built this using MySQL rather than the system database (as
the Liferay folks intended) we would be in better shape?

After all, that database (the MySQL version at least) is just shy of 60MB,
so it stands to reason that we are taxing resources here.

I would like to explore this. Could you please guide me?

I think I have the basics down of what would be needed, but I don't think I
quite have it all down yet, and I would like to know for sure by hearing it
from you.

I would like to see us put this puppy to bed, you folks bless it for the
general public, and move on (Liferay portal is but the first of several apps
I am building on top of Geronimo - details of this project to be shared as
we go).

Thanks!

Jim