djencks wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Jim Foster wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> [7] I see the same PermGen error.
>>
>> I wonder if we built this using MySQL rather than the system database (as
>> the Liferay folks intended) we would be in better shape?
>>
>> After all, that database (the MySQL version at least) is just shy of
>> 60MB,
>> so it stands to reason that we are taxing resources here.
>>
>> I would like to explore this. Could you please guide me?
>
> It's worth a try, although it's also a bit worrysome.  permGen OOM errors
> normally mean you are creating too many classes.  The amount of data being
> fed into a database shouldn't affect the number of classes needed so if it
> is somehow affecting this I wonder if something else is wrong.

Hi David,

Based on what Perter said, and the research I did as a result of his
suggestion, I see what you mean.

djencks wrote:

> I'll see if I can write up an example later today, but meanwhile you might
> look at the mysql plugin for roller under plugins/roller/trunk.

I did take a look at roller, which is where I got the "basics" of what I
know.

However, building it presented problems, so I could only go so far.

Here are my review notes for roller:

[1] Doing an mvn from the roller plugin root directory to do a top level
build of the plugin yields the following:

      [INFO] Scanning for projects...
      Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/genesis/config/project-config/1.4/project-config-1.4.pom
      [INFO]
      [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
      [INFO]
      [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

      GroupId: org.apache.geronimo.genesis.config
      ArtifactId: project-config
      Version: 1.4

        org.apache.geronimo.genesis.config:project-config:pom:1.4

      from the specified remote repositories:
        central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

    There is no version 1.4.

    Changing the parent version to 1.3 works until [2].

[2] Missing artifacts

      [INFO]
      [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
      [INFO]
      [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

      Missing:
      ----------
      1) apache-xalan:serializer:jar:j_2.7.0

        Then, install it using the command:
            mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=apache-xalan
-DartifactId=serializer \
                -Dversion=j_2.7.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
there:
                mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=apache-xalan
-DartifactId=serializer \
                -Dversion=j_2.7.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file \
                -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

        Path to dependency:
              1) org.apache.geronimo.plugins:roller-jetty:car:1.0-SNAPSHOT
              2) apache-xalan:serializer:jar:j_2.7.0

      2) oswego-concurrent:concurrent:jar:1.3.4

        Then, install it using the command:
            mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=oswego-concurrent
-DartifactId=concurrent \
                -Dversion=1.3.4 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file
there:
                mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=oswego-concurrent
-DartifactId=concurrent \
                -Dversion=1.3.4 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file \
                -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

        Path to dependency:
              1) org.apache.geronimo.plugins:roller-jetty:car:1.0-SNAPSHOT
              2) oswego-concurrent:concurrent:jar:1.3.4

      ----------
      2 required artifacts are missing.

      for artifact:
        org.apache.geronimo.plugins:roller-jetty:car:1.0-SNAPSHOT

      from the specified remote repositories:
        apache.snapshots
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
        apache-snapshots
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
        codehaus-snapshots (http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org),
        apache-incubator
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/)

Did I miss something obvious, or does this also need some tweaking, as
indicated above?

Jim