On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 3:13 AM Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020, 14:18 Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 5:10 PM Peter De Tender <pe...@pdtit.be> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I agree on optimizing documentation could be a good project; maybe it
>>> can be moved to a GitHub alike scenario where "anyone" can contribute to it
>>> and improve it?
>>>

>> It already is :-)
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/guacamole-manual
>>
>> And we certainly welcome any contributions.  They need to follow the
>> overall project guidelines for contributions - JIRA issue, style
>> guidelines, pull requests, etc.
>>

> I think the idea of using a system like Read the Docs has been floated
> before. If that would help foster greater community involvement in
> documentation, perhaps we should look further into migrating.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a friendlier way for the community to
contribute to documentation.  Read the Docs may be a good option.  The
other thing we could consider is some sort of way of decoupling the
documentation update process from the official software release process?
So, if we still wanted to follow JIRA issues, pull requests, etc., for
documentation, we could do that, but allow documentation to be more
"living" and less tied to the version release? Throwing that out there...

Also, I think we've also talked about leveraging the Apache Confluence
system for the project before, but I seem to recall there were some
limitations, there, though I'm fuzzy on the details.  Not sure if that's a
place we could create a publicly-editable page (subject to review, etc.),
or if there's a way to tie  that in with a Git repo??

> I believe there is a way to remove the ads that would otherwise be shown
> through paying for a membership of some kind with Read the Docs. If that
> platform does seem the way to go, my dayjob would be happy to pay for it
> (though I'm personally unfamiliar with the ASF procedures for a company
> sponsoring project resources).

That would be quite generous - looks like they have a couple of "For
Business" plans, but if we decide to go that route it might be worth
reaching out to them, explaining the situation, and asking them what they
recommend for an open source project that wants to avoid advertising.
After we ask ASF, of course...